Sunday 11 July 2010

Fantastic Fish Lasagne

This fish lasagne is based from a Venetian-style baked fish dish. Jamie describes it as the Italian version of the British fish pie, using pasta instead of potatoes. The fish, I used cod, salmon and prawns, are layered with a beautiful, thick and creamy sauce; cherry tomatoes, parmesan, parsley, the pasta itself before finely topped with a mixture of breadcrumbs, parsley and lemon zest, and then baked in the oven.

Have you heard something about you shouldn't mix fish with cheese? Well I think why not. The little bit of parmesan in this lasagne makes it fully work. Italians are really strict about this, but I'm sure deep down inside they love it (though they might not admit it).

The lasagne wasn't at all hard to make but it's quite lengthy, especially when making the sauce. I'm a great believer that great things come to those who wait and the whole process was absolutely worth it.

Jamie calls this dish as Fantastic Fish Lasagne and I think it's an understatement. It's so delicious, beyond fantastic. I think it should be called... hmmm... well, I don't know, what's the word to describe a dish so delicious, beyond fantastic??

the beyond fantastic, Fantastic Fish Lasagne

For dessert, I made tiramisu, my all time favourite sweet things. It was a special request from my friends who came to visit from Scotland.


I was once told that the literal meaning of tiramisu is 'pick me up' and I don't know if this is true but apparently Venetian courtesans used to eat it before their gentlemen arrived for the evening because they believed it would give them the energy to make love all night...

And tonight I was reminded once again why I love cooking and going into all the troubles so much. Cooking is a way for me to share what I feel to others; and when I see my friends eating, enjoying the food I made, helping themselves for more serving, making delicious noises, it gives me joy.

3 days and 3 new recipes in a row?! I must be on fire! I have 11 recipes left to try and 51 days to go. Bring it on!

10 comments:

  1. You are on a roll with your recipes! I love a good tiramisu but never knew the romantic ties to the history. Your fish lasagne sound like a delicious take on an Italian favorite. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...you're doing a Julie/Julia with Jamie? Well, you can't have a better teacher!
    This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael,
    I also love tiramisu! I make it sometimes. I use recipe from Williams-sonoma. If you have a chance, go to http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/tiramisu.html and try this tiramisu recipe. This was the best tiramisu recipe I ever tried! I get lots of compliments when I make this tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the way you prepared tiramisu, I usually make it in summer and I prepare a special tiramisu cake for my youngest daughter's birthday.
    I LOVE fish lasagne!!!after having tried vegetable and the classic one, fish lasagne is really a hit at home :)
    GREAT WORK !!!!
    :) Keep on cooking :)
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Michael

    what an incredible Fish Lasagna....and I love grated cheese on my seafood pasta courses...I was always a little embarrassed in Italy to use it, but I don't see anything wrong with it! Your Lasagna looks delicious, your sauce looks amazing!
    Then you made my all time favorite dessert, Tiramisu...now adays eating enough Tiramisu to keep me going all night would have me at the ER, if the other didn't kill me!!
    Great job with this post!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I beg you, when you finish these recipes please keep blogging. Just find a new book or whatever but never stop blogging. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of a fish lasagne. Looks good but the tiramisu is more up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all the nice and very encouraging comments. I appreciate it.

    Anonymous, you just made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just realized I commented on the wrong post. Oops. But I also must say, eating a rabbit scares me. I like bunnies. Mainly for pets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The beyond fantastic, Fantastic Fish Lasagna" is the perfect name for this dish - wow! And I am cracking up at Rick's comment:)

    ReplyDelete