Wednesday 5 January 2011

Dragon chicken

I struggled to wake up this morning and get ready to go to work after the holidays... My alarm beeped at 7.  I hit the snoozed button twice before removing the alarm completely and an hour later I woke up in a rush after a strange dream which I couldn't remember now... But I made it to work on time.  Actually, I don't need to get up that early... I don't live too far from the University, but I quite enjoy the morning, drinking coffee, making toasts, watch a little bit of news and walk leisurely to work...

But anyway, let's talk about this Dragon Chicken.  I, sadly, but true keep a journal where I scribble recipe ideas, menu planning, magic spells, you know, that kinda things... And I was looking through it earlier and I couldn't believe that I have written a whole section on chicken wings recipes alone.  Next to the thighs, wings are my favourite part of chickens.  This Dragon Chicken is exceptionally delicious.  As its name suggests, these wings are fiery but just enough to keep you wanting for more.  However, if you like your stuff flaming hot, I suppose you can always leave the chillies whole, so that way you get the seeds and all, but at your own risk and don't blame me...

These wings are great to serve when you have friends over for some cool drinks or the next day to recover from the cool drinks.  Again, your choice...


Dragon Chicken
Recipe by Nigella Lawson
Makes 20 chicken wings, serves 8 - 10 (when I cooked this, the 4 of us happily demolished the whole thing)

5 long red chillies, de-seeded and halved
1 red pepper, de-seeded and core removed
2 x 8 cm pieces fresh ginger, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 x 15 ml tablespoons sea salt flakes or 1 tablespoon pouring salt
2 teaspoon rice vinegar
80 ml garlic oil
80 ml vegetable oil
20 chicken wings, whole
Chopped fresh coriander for serving

Preheat the oven to 220 C. Process the chillies, red pepper, ginger, salt, vinegar and the 2 oils in a food processor and whiz until smooth.

You can at this point leave your chicken wings to marinate in a freezer bag coated in the chilli sauce for up to 24 hours if you want - or for two days if you omit the salt and add this later.  Otherwise tip out the sauce over the chicken wings onto a shallow-sided foil-lined roasting tray or lipped baking sheet - don't use a high-sided tin, or the wings will braise rather that roast.

Make sure all the wings are coated in the chilli-flecked sauce, and the roast for 40 minutes.

Transfer the wings to a serving platter and sprinkle with some coriander.

15 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I wish I did not have to wake up so early..445am for me! ha, when I am late the traffic is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragon wings huh! Now what party would be complete without these little babies. Love the chilli & ginger combo too, would have heated things up for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I enjoyed waking up early in the mornings.... I dread having to wake up to an alarm and always set it for as late as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7? Oh, how I wish I could sleep until then.. our alarm goes off at 5...and I'm usually up about 5 minutes before..grrrr!!!
    Anyway.. the chicken looks and sounds AMAZING!! I will definitely be trying this one...I'm with you, I love love love wings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael-I'm drooling over these spicy chicken wings...forget the buffalo wings, which I love to make from time to time.

    This will be my new addition and it's a keeper.
    Also great advice about the high sided pan...so true about them being braised rather than crispy, roasted. Also, since most people don't stock garlic oil, ie. moi...I always have finely chopped fresh garlic in vegetable oil that I will substitute...Yeahh...you made my day, Michael...Thanks, my sweet friend!

    BTW-Don't forget to check out my blog for the $50 gift certificate giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael! Well, long time no see! I thought I'd wish you a belated happy New Year and Merry Christmas :)
    Well your chicken looks great, and I read that it's a Nigella Lawson's recipe, so it must be a very good one!
    Garlic oil is something I have always wanted to try in my cooking.. it'll be a good way to use it!
    Great, great, great!
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this looks amazing great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, you deserve a big sleep-in after this post - I prefer thighs to wings myself but if you say they're good, I'll believe you! Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I love the name - Dragon Chicken. It conjures up all sorts of images to do with magic! Secondly, I'd keep all the chilli seeds in, so that when someone takes a bite of the wings, there would be smoke coming visibly out of their nose! Lovely stuff...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like waking up early too and get bummed out when I don't have that extra time in the morning! The wings look excellent - I love Nigella's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Maya, love the name of this dish :) They look terrific...I like to have my coffee and enjoy the morning a bit too before off for the day, but I do not always manage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! Seriously??? I just ate dinner but you have me hungry again already. These look and sound so good! And I'm with you...the thighs, then the wings (if done right), followed by the drumstick. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read . I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job . Keep it up eaadhar

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is extremely radiant. I extremely like this post. It is outstanding amongst other posts that I’ve read in quite a while. Much obliged for this better than average post. I truly value it! indian restaurant

    ReplyDelete