Monday 17 October 2011

Roasted Tomato Caprese Bruschetta

I absolutely love tomatoes! But fresh tomatoes are best during the summer months when they're at their sweetest. However, I discovered that if you slow-roast the tomatoes, it will concentrate the flavour and they will have full, rich summer tomato flavour. They became slightly caramelised and utterly delicious.

The inspiration for this bruschetta, obviously comes from Insalata Caprese, a simple salad that celebrates Italy's tricolore flag, made of white buffalo mozzarella, red tomatoes and green basil leaves. Obviously there is nothing wrong with a salad, but I do want some carbohydrates and this salad is just perfect on top of a crusty bread when you want a simple and light but hearty lunch/supper.

The one thing that is slightly different to this Caprese salad is in addition to fresh basil leaves, I also added some fresh tarragon and I hope I have not upset anyone here. I must tell you, the distinctive licorice and anise flavour of fresh tarragon is so delicious with the velvety, milky mozzarella, fragrant basil and sweet, sweet tomatoes. Yum.


This roasted tomato Caprese bruschetta is my entry for a taste of tomatoes competition at lovethegarden.com.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Bruschetta
Serves 2

5 tomatoes
2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
a pinch of sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
fresh basil leaves, julienned
fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
2 slices of crusty bread
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling

Preheat the oven to 120 C.
Halved the tomatoes lengthwise and de-seed them. When I do this, because I don't like to waste food, I put the seeds in a small bowl and eat it later with a pinch of sugar. My mother used to give me this when I was little. But anyway, arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer; and season with salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and drizzle with the garlic infused olive oil. And the reason I use garlic infused oil, not fresh garlic is because I don't want the garlic to burn and turn bitter. Roast for an hour and a half until the tomatoes are concentrated and begin to caramelise. Some dark edges are desirable. Allow the tomatoes to cool to room temperature.


Cut the mozzarella into thin slices. If the slices of the mozzarella are larger than the tomatoes, cut the mozzarella slices in half. Grill/toast 2 slices of crusty bread. Layer the tomatoes alternatively with the mozzarella on top of the bread and scatter with the fresh basil and tarragon. Sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil.

10 comments:

  1. gorgeous! I want this for breakfast! my tummy is grumbling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those roasted tomato halves look fantastic! Bet those bruschetta taste divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so good... I adore mozzarella and tomato!... good luck with the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than roasted tomatoes! I love the intense flavor and this salad looks super, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed coming over here, Michael! I'm glad I did pop over today though because this is the most beautiful caprese salad bruschetta I've ever seen (probably the only one I've ever seen, but never mind that)! you go and rock the competition, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roasting tomatoes definitely brings out a yummy flavor... and bruschetta = YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to know you don't waste any of the tomato. Don't know what you have available over there, but here we can get tomatoes on the vine at the supermarket all year round. They are not as good as fresh of course, but for an application like this, perfectly acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an amazing twist on the Tomato Caprese Bruschetta...Roasted tomatoes! Wow! Totally incredible, Michael! I love it! ...seriously, this is so incredible, and the flavors are so joyfully marinated, with the roasted tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil...and so yummy, on that slice of crusty bread:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds so delicious with the roasted tomatoes....bravo michael! I will not be able to stop thinking about this!!

    ReplyDelete