Friday 3 February 2012

Marmalade Cake

It's Friday, so you know it's treat day at work. I do do some actual work you know... at times. I don't just bake in case if you're wondering. But I do think a lot about food and my next meal all the time.

Last night I came across this recipe for marmalade cake from the latest issue of Jamie (Oliver) Magazine and because I have most of the ingredients at home I thought I'd give this a go. The only ingredient missing from the original recipe is ground almonds which is a shame because I do like the texture of ground almonds in cakes. I added 1 lemon juice and zest to the cake for two very good reasons: one, it needs using before it gets dry and wrinkly; and two, I think the sharpness of the lemon will balance nicely with the sweetness of the oranges and the marmalade. And I was right. The cake is beautiful. Just the smell of it... yum.

It is soft and sticky when it's still warm, but also delicious at room temperature. It gets a bit stodgy, in a good way if you know what I mean when it cools. But you can always put it in the microwave for a few seconds only if you want to and can be bothered. 

Anyway I am glad it's Friday. The wine is chilling and I've been invited to my friend, Adam's for dinner. I heard stuffed peppers with couscous and grilled halloumi, pork and cider hot pot and banoffee pie are on the menu tonight. Bring... it... on! I am starving.

Have a great weekend!


Marmalade Cake
Recipe inspired by Ginny Rolfe

200 gr soft unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the tin
4 tablespoons demerara sugar
200 gr golden caster sugar
6 heaped tablespoons fine cut marmalade
4 eggs
3 Navel oranges
1 lemon
225 self-rising flour
a pinch of salt

Pre-heat the oven to 180 C. Grease the base and sides of a 23 cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Sprinkle the base with demerara sugar. Slice one of the oranges as thinly as humanly possible and arrange the orange slices on the base of the tin.

Cream the butter and golden sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer, followed by 3 tablespoons of the marmalade and mix well. Add the eggs one by one, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Zest and then juice the rest of the oranges and 1 lemon. Add a pinch of salt to the juice and add these to the mixture. Fold in the flour.

Carefully pour the batter into the tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. I cover the tin halfway through cooking with foil to stop it from getting too brown, but it doesn't really matter to be honest since the top is actually going to be the base.

When the cake is out from the oven, let it sit for a little bit before turning it out from the tin. It's best to do this when the cake is still warm. Just be careful. Prick the top of the cake with wooden skewers. Heat the rest of the marmalade with a little water and pour this on top of the cake. Cut into slices and enjoy with a nice cup of tea.

7 comments:

  1. oh my god I made marmalade cake today... my grandmas recipe, not this one, but still... how amazing do our houses smell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, love that colour. Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love marmelade and this cake looks delicious!!
    Have a nice week end

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made a marmalade cake in a long time. The last time I made it the smell was so intense I couldn't stand it and ate way too much. Still.. it was delicious.

    This looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds excellent and I happen to have made a lot of marmalade recently. Any cake that's 'a bit stodgy, in a good way' is exactly my idea of a good cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks gorgeous - perfect for a light afternoon/midnight snack I think (with some delicious jaffa ice creamm... - oops there goes the lightness :D)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: No Bake Fudgy Fridge Biscuits

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful, Michael! And, by the way, I think all good foodies are always thinking about the next meal!!

    ReplyDelete