Wednesday 4 April 2012

Pomegranate Roast Chicken & Roasted Cauliflower Salad

So, here's the thing, I have a bottle of pomegranate molasses that needs using. I've used it once in the pomegranate and chicken stew and I still have loads left. I looked through my cookery books and magazines and then I saw this recipe for pomegranate roast chicken from last year's issue of Jamie's Magazine.

This is actually a very nice roast chicken. There's no fuss and all is done in one pan. I particularly love the BBQ-like stickiness from the molasses and the tang from the fresh pomegranate seeds and with that, a hint of warm cinnamon, lots of garlic and peppery rocket leaves. I used chicken thighs only if you're wondering, because I do much prefer dark meats. They're cheaper and more flavourful than white meat, I think, so what is not to like? The original recipe calls for walnuts, which I am not so keen on, so no walnuts for me.


Along with the red onions, aubergines and rocket, this one pan roast chicken is already a meal in itself. However, on the same page where I found this recipe, I also saw a recipe for roasted cauliflower salad which sounds rather delicious, so I gave it a go. However, when I got home, I realised I didn't have several of the ingredients, so I played around with what I have in my cupboard and this is what I came up with...

Roasted Cauliflower Salad
Serves 1, happily

1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
Rapeseed oil
1/2 bunch of coriander, leaves picked and finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 200C. Blanch the cauliflower in a pan of salted boiling water, then drain and leave to steam dry completely. Transfer to a roasting tray.

Bash the cumin, coriander seeds and dried chilli flakes using a pestle and mortar, the sprinkle over the cauliflower. Drizzle with the oil, then season with salt and pepper, toss to coat and roast for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.

Transfer the roasted cauliflower to a platter and sprinkle with the chopped coriander leaves, a drizzle of the oil, sea salt and serve straight away.


I also just baked a lemon cake and I'm gonna use more of the pomegranate molasses for the icing... just wait and see. If you have any suggestions to use up the pomegranate molasses, please let me know... thank you.


13 comments:

  1. wow That's fit for the queen! I want to come over for the lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely stunning!... well done Michael... this is TRULY incredible and i'm stealing the idea from you for my next chicken thigh recipe... divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. You are the Masta of chicken thighs recipe!

      Delete
  3. Excellent dishes - I love the sound of that salad. I use a lot of pomegranate molasses, especially in the summer for some reason. I love it in dressings and sauces for couscous and salads (it's great with feta) and I often use it in dips with aubergine or peppers. It's also excellent in many different marinades and can be added to many meat or vegetable casseroles. This winter I've been adding it to braised red cabbage (thanks to Ozlem's Turkish Table blog) and to duck dishes. It'll even work as a part of a dressing or sauce for some fish - especially salmon. It can add an interesting twist to rice pudding and you can use it in cooling, summery drinks. Sorry, I've gone on a bit, but I do love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil to all the wonderful suggestions. I added the molasses to my braised red cabbage for Sunday dinner and it was utterly delicious. It just adds a new layer of flavour. I must try it on your other suggestions :)

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous pictures of both the chicken and the cauliflower, Michael! I want to just reach into my computer and grab some of everything! LOVE what you did the with pomegranate molasses...I need to find some of that very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone need to invent that kind of computer! That would be so awesome.

      Delete
  5. That cauliflower salad looks scrumptious! I love all things cauliflower so I'll definitely be trying this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Russell. I do too love cauliflower. So delicious... when done right, obviously.

      Delete
  6. that's one gorgeous photo! I love all the colours in the roast chicken, reminds me of ottolenghi's food actually! really really nice one michael! I really want to get hold of pomegranate molasses. I hear a lot about it, but I just haven't got that motivation and push to go get it, this is just the push I need. really, I'm not just saying, I'm going to get it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shu Han. Go and get it. I think you'll find great use of it. Looking forward to reading your recipes using the molasses.

      Delete
  7. This is one beautiful dish...well actually two they both look delicious! I have two bottles of pomegranate molasses, so this is a treat for me to see your recipe. I really need to use it more. I have added it to beans and salad dressing. Now I need to add it to marinades and more. Thanks for the reminder to use it more! BTW I wish I had that kind of computer to grab it off the screen :)

    ReplyDelete