Friday 13 April 2012

Rhubarb and Strawberry Tart

This month's Random Recipe challenge celebrates the host's aka the brilliant Dom at Belleau Kitchen 2nd blog anniversary. So, since it is a birthday occasion, we've been asked to choose a baking book at random and bake something lovely...

I piled all my baking books and the book or actually the booklet I selected at random is River Cottage: Baking, a Sunday supplement from The Telegraph. And the recipe I selected at random is rhubarb and strawberry tart. Before you ask, I'm gonna tell you that the pastry is.... home-made! Aren't you proud? I often take shortcut and use store-bought pastry, but I thought this time I'd make it myself. It's very straightforward, especially because it's all done in a food processor.

This tart is lovely just by itself, but just because I have some custard (home-made as well, yes *smug) in the fridge, I've got to have it with the tart.

One quick note, when the tart is out from the oven it may look a bit runny. Don't panic. The juices will thicken as it cools.

I will be doing more baking this weekend, so what this space... have a great one!


Rhubarb and Strawberry Tart
Recipe from River Cottage: Baking
Serves 6 - 8

For the pastry
200 gr plain flour
50 gr icing sugar
A pinch of salt
100 gr cold, unsalted butter, cubed
2 egg yolks

For the filling
180 gr rhubarb, trimmed
200 gr strawberries, hulled and halved
40 ml white wine
100 gr caster sugar
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp icing sugar

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling and let them macerate while you make the pastry.

To make the pastry, put the flour, icing sugar and salt into a food processor and pulse to combine, just to get rid of any lumps. Then add the cold, cubed butter and pulse again until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add one egg yolk and cold water, a teaspoon at a time and pulse until the dough forms a ball. Wrap the pastry with cling film and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Obviously, you can also do this whole process by hand, but personally I prefer using food processor. 

Next, preheat the oven to 180 C. Dust your work surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out the pastry to 3 mm thickness and wide enough to line a 26 - 28 cm tart tin placed on a baking sheet. Leave any excess overhanging the rim.

prick the base a few times with a fork and bake for 10 minutes. Lightly beat the other egg yolk, brush it over the pastry, trim the excess and bake for another 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, arrange the tart with the rhubarb and strawberries. Add 5 - 6 tablespoons of the liquid, but don't overfill it. Bake on a low oven shelf and bake for further 45 minutes to 1 hour. The liquid will thickens as it cools. Let the tart cool before removing it from the tin. Dust with icing sugar and serve with anything you like, creme fraiche, double cream or custard.

10 comments:

  1. oh wow... I adore rhubarb and strawberries... this is the perfect tart for my birthday... that table is going to be groaning with cake!... beautiful picture as well, makes you want to steal a sliver right off the screen! Thanks so much for taking part as always and enjoy the party round-up at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly seasonal too (...well, the rhubarb anyway!). I'm always looking for new rhubarb recipes, especially this year as the patch in my garden is out of control!

    LOVELY photo btw : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and' I am sure, delicious! Well done, Mchael!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhubarb and strawberry go hand-in-hand together. Love them in pies, and your tart is so pretty and inviting, Michael.
    I can imagine how good it is. Love it:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tart, Michael! This so reminds me of the strawberry rhubarb pies my mom used to make when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love strawberries and rhubarb together, and this tart looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These looks absolutely delicious! Love the beautiful color of the fresh rhubarb & what a great combination !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet this tastes divine! I can just imagine diving into that Rhubarb!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rhubarb and strawberry. Sweet and sharp its the perfect combination. I often buy my pastry and even buy it ready rolled, so well done for making it. It is nicer really. GG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, Michael! The sheen on this tart is just sooo lovely! My little patch of rhubarb is coming along and should be ready for some cuttings in a few weeks! I can't wait to use some for this tart and a lovely compote too!

    ReplyDelete